Cabbage “Steaks” with Garlic <3 Olivia
It seems like I really love cabbage if you look at my posts… This recipe is a great side and is delicious and healthy. I originally found this recipe courtesy of Martha Stewart, and I have just made a few of my own tweaks. The cabbage looks really beautiful on the plate and is incredibly easy to make.
Cabbage “Steaks” with Garlic
- 1-2 heads cabbage (depending on how much you want)
– 3-4 cloves garlic
– 2 tbs olive oil
– Dash of salt, pepper, and garlic powder
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
1. Slice out your cabbage into “steaks” (just like in the picture) approximately 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
2. Lay out the cabbage on a roasting pan lined with parchment paper (or just place oil on the pan so it doesn’t stick).
3. Using a brush (or your hands–I just bought a brush and I think it was worth the investment of 9.95 at Williams-Sonoma) spread the olive oil over both sides of your cabbage slices.
4. Crush 2-3 garlic cloves with your hand. Hold one clove at a time and rub the crushed garlic onto the surface of the cabbage. You will be able to see the garlic juice on the leaves. Coat both sides of the “steaks.”
5. Chop the remaining garlic into medium sized pieces. Spread the garlic over the cabbage slices. Or you can leave them whole, or just leave out entirely. I really like garlic so I wanted to add some extra.
6. Sprinkle the “steaks” with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Roast in the oven for 30-60 minutes. This all depends on how soft you want your cabbage and if you like the leaves to begin to brown in the oven. In the picture above, my “steaks” had been roasting for about 55 minutes. Enjoy just as they are, or add dijon mustard.